The Future Festivals Workshop will be in line with the capacity building objectives of Backstage to the Future: Caribbean and will serve as an opportunity to guide those interested in starting their own festivals with the foundational skills requirements involved.
Internally conducted insight gathering has revealed that there exist opportunities for job creation and routes to employability through the festival sector in Jamaica, which has led British Council to host this training 21-23 February 2020, bringing together participants for a 3-day workshop. The workshop will address the creation of festivals which are economically viable, environmentally friendly and socially inclusive in the Caribbean through an introductory course on festival management. The British Council has identified these areas as most relevant to the training:
- Festival Vision and Audience
- Building a Sustainable Festival
- Developing Business Models for your Festival
- Building a Festival Team
- Festivals and the Environment
Informed by our experience and our networks we want to provide a workshop for participants, within the 18-35 age range:
- Who are interested in creating their own festivals but have never managed a festival before.
- Who’ve volunteered or worked backstage at festivals and want to pursue other opportunities with these skills.
- Who wish to develop professional skills in festival management.
This workshop will:
- Highlight the challenges present in the Caribbean with regards to starting a festival.
- Explore ways of creating festivals in the Caribbean that are economically viable, environmentally friendly, and socially inclusive.
- Bring together young professionals from and interested in the Caribbean festival sector and enable a dialogue among participants to share ideas and goals regarding festivals, creating a space for encouraging feedback and group working.
- Introduce practical and professional skills and tools required in festival management.
- Identify ways of supporting the current industry and supporting the future of the industry and its stakeholders.
*Please register by 02 February 2020.