What is IELTS?
IELTS is the world's most popular English language certification. Developed by world leading experts in English language assessment, it assesses your listening, reading, speaking and writing skills.
The format of the exam reflects how you plan to use English. Whether you wish to study, work or live in an English-speaking environment, IELTS can be tailored to your specific needs.
How will an IELTS English test help me?
- Apply for work or study in a foreign university.
- Support your visa application in order to live in an anglophone country.
- Certify your English proficiency in order to graduate from school or university.
- Secure a better job or job promotion in the Caribbean.
- Complete higher education studies.
Who accepts the IELTS English exam?
IELTS is accepted by more than 11,500 organizations in over 140 countries including governments, academic institutions and employers, with 3000 alone in the United States of America. Therefore, when you take IELTS, you can feel assured that your qualification will be recognized abroad.
How does IELTS work?
In IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training, the oral and listening sections are identical, yet the speaking and writing sections are different.
The listening, writing and reading sections are all taken on the same day, however, the order in which you take them can vary depending on your examination center. There are no breaks between these three sections. The oral exam can be taken on the same day or up to a week before or after the main component of your written exam.
Which IELTS exam should I take?
- IELTS Academic: If you are interested in studying in a higher-education university or in applying for a job in an Anglophone country.
- IELTS General: If you wish to emigrate to an Anglophone country or to prepare for pre-university educational courses.
- IELTS UKVI: If you need to support your visa application to work, live or study in the UK, it is possible that you will have to take the IELTS Academic exam or IELTS General exam for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) or IELTS for Life Skills.
Remember that each organization will have its own requirements. If you are unsure about which exam you should take, contact the relevant organization to check the suitability of each exam.
Why take IELTS with the British Council?
- Access to exclusive preparation materials.
- Strict health and safety protocols which guarantee your safety on the day of your test.
- Convenient dates and locations.
- Professional and friendly staff.
- Five free Test Report Forms (TRF).