What is IELTS?
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the world's most popular English language proficiency test. It is designed for higher education and global migration in an English-speaking country.
The IELTS test assesses your ability to listen, read, write and speak English, and is graded on a scale of 1 to 9. You can take it at any of our official British Council IELTS test centres in the Caribbean.
How will the IELTS test help me?
IELTS is the ideal tool if your purpose is to:
- Apply for work or study in a foreign university.
- Support your visa application in order to live in an English-speaking country.
- Certify your English proficiency in order to graduate from school or university.
- Secure a better job or job promotion.
- Complete higher education studies (Undergraduate, Master's, Postgraduate).
Who accepts the IELTS test?
The IELTS system has been setting the standard for English-language testing for over 30 years. It is trusted by over 11,500 organisations in over 140 countries around the world. This means that when you take an IELTS test, you can be confident that the result will be recognised by the educational institution, employer, professional body, or government that needs to verify your English language proficiency.
How does IELTS work?
IELTS was developed by some of the world’s leading language assessment experts to test the full range of skills needed to study or work successfully in an English speaking country. You’ll be assessed on Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.
The Listening, Reading and Writing sections are tested on the same day. The order in which they are tested may vary, and there are no breaks between these three sections. The Speaking test can be taken on the same day, or during the week before or after the date you have chosen for your written test.
Which IELTS test should I take?
- IELTS Academic: If you are interested in pursuing higher education or applying for a job in an English-speaking environment, this is the test for you. The test reflects aspects of academic language and evaluates whether you’re ready to begin training or studying in English.
- IELTS General Training: If you are looking to migrate to an English-speaking country or wish to train or study at below degree level, this is the test for you. It measures your English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. The test reflects both workplace and social situations.
- IELTS UKVI: If you are taking the IELTS test to support a UK visa application to study, work, or live in the UK, you may need to take a specific version of the test, called IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). You can take the UKVI test in its Academic or General Training types. Alternatively, you may need to take the IELTS for Life Skills test.
Remember that each organisation will have its own requirements. If you are unsure about which exam you should take, contact the relevant organisation to check the suitability of each exam.
Why take IELTS with the British Council?
- Access to exclusive preparation materials - IELTS Ready: Premium
- Convenient test dates and locations.
- Professional and friendly staff.
- Easy registration process and fast results