Familiarise yourself with the IELTS Reading test format and improve your chances of success by watching this video. Obtain tips for your IELTS Reading test and practise online.
- It contains 40 questions in total.
- It includes three texts written in English which can be taken from newspapers, magazines, websites or books.
- The time to answer this section is 60 minutes.
- In the paper version there is no extra time to transfer your answers. You will have to write them directly on the answer sheet as you progress.
- It contains different types of questions: multiple choice, sentence completion, locating parts of the text or stating the author's opinion.
Check out these recommended reading techniques
|Skimming||This is a speed reading technique where the text is read superficially in order to identify general ideas and important themes. It focuses on reading headings, subheadings and key words.|
|Scanning||This technique consists in "scanning" the text for specific information. The purpose is to find specific information quickly.|
|Intensive reading||It involves a reasoned, slow and deep reading of the text in its entirety. Its objective is to know details and locate contextual information.|